Friday, February 12, 2016

2+2=5

2+2=4
    We have been told this since the age five, maybe even younger. It is a fact. If you hold up two fingers and then add two more you then have four fingers. If you go to the bakery with two cookies and leave with two more, you have four cookies. This fact can be expressed in every way possible. It will never change. Then why question it if there can be no other answer?
    Imagine you are a fly. You are a very small organism living in a very large one. The large one controls your surroundings. The sun rises in the mornings and sets in the evening. When it rains, you are wet, and when it snows you are cold. These things never change, but how do you know this? How do you know that the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening? How do you know that rain makes you wet? You know these events occur because the larger party tells you they do.
   So ask yourself, how do you know two and two equal four. Why not five? Imagine being told that the answer to 2+2=5 when you were young. It has been engraved into your head that this is the answer no matter what. Isn't that the same as being told the answer is four?
    Now imagine you are the fly again, but now the larger party tells you that the sun rises in the evening and sets in the morning. They have told you this since you where born. They have enforced this information into your brain. Do you actually believe that these events are true? Does the sun really rise in the evening and set in the morning? I am sorry to say but, that answer is up to you. It is up to you to figure out what your freedoms are. What your liberties are. All I can say is that "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows."(Orwell p.81).

3 comments:

  1. I like the comparison to cookies. I knowing me if you told me something that was completely wrong but I had no previous knowledge of it I would believe you. Like at the lunch table. I say something about a juice piece of gossip and you answer. If you were to tell me something realistic to the situation, more often than not, I would believe every word you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your use of comparisons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you really thought about this issue and it really made me think about why I believe the things that I do.

    ReplyDelete